Poland Township Government, 3339 Dobbins Road, Poland, OH 44514—Phone: 330.757.0733

Welcome to the Poland Township Historical Society

An integral part of Poland’s heritage is the building known today as the Little Red Schoolhouse which was built in 1858. The building is located at 4515 Center Rd. (Rt. 224) at the Struthers Rd. intersection. In 1915, the building ceased to function as a school, but it has continued to serve the community in various capacities. In the late 1970’s, the Poland Board of Education began to consider selling the building and property as it was no longer needed and had fallen into disrepair.

In 1979, the Poland Township Historical Society was formed in an effort to save Poland’s Little Red Schoolhouse. A lease agreement between the Historical Society and the Poland Local Board of Education was arranged for $1.00 per year for a period of 99 years, thus becoming the home of the newly formed Poland Historical Society. Poland is the only school district in Ohio to still have a one room brick schoolhouse.

Through the efforts of Society members, a Federal Grant was secured for restoration of the building along with numerous donations of time and money from the community. The building has qualified for placement on the National Register of Historic Places.

2015 Officers
Larry Baughman, President
Laurie Fox, Vice President
Dave Smith, Secretary
Lewis Shirey, Treasurer
2015 Trustees
Dick Dale       
Joanne Eiselstein     
Ted Heineman     
Sue Holloway
Pepper McGarry
Ginny Meloy
Doris Rice
Christine Roussos
Sara Hill Strock
Peter Sturbi
Ed Virostek
2012 Historical Society Officers
2013officers5933
2012 Historical Society Trustees
2012trustees1066

 Print  Email