About Poland Township
The History of Poland, Ohio
In the 1700's several Indian pathways crossed through what is now known as Poland and Youngstown. This area was rich in timber, wildlife and served as a great potential for farmland. In 1795, since Connecticut relinquished its rights to the vast Western Claims, the Connecticut Assembly decided that 3,000,000 acres should be sold for not less than $1,000,000 or 33 cents per acre.
Once the land was sold, surveying parties plotted the Western Reserve Land into Townships. Poland was known as "Town 1, Range 1", since it was one of the first to be surveyed in the Western Reserve Area. In 1810, the population of Poland reached 837 compared to Youngstown's 773 and Cleveland's 547.
It is said that the name of Poland was bestowed in honor of a young Polish Revolutionary War hero who won the hearts of the community. His Polish name was too long so they decided the best way to honor him was to name the town for the country from which he came.
The Township and Village have retained their colonial appearance which came from the New England settlers who brought their heritage and culture with them. Many of the old homes have been preserved and blend well with the new growth of homes in Poland. The Township and Village are protected by their own police departments and the Western Reserve Joint Fire District which is composed of volunteer fire fighters.
Poland still retains its distinction of being a bedroom type community with only small type businesses in the area. The community promotes a nice, safe residential atmosphere for family living.