About Poland Township Historical Society
The Poland Township Historical Society was originally incorporated and organized not for profit on March 26, 1980 according to the Ohio State Articles of Incorporation.
On June 9, 1986 an Amendment of Articles of Incorporation adopted changes presented by Betty Jones, President and Connie Coloutes, Secretary of the Historical Society.
Following is the mission statement of the corporation as amended:
The corporation is organized exclusively for educational and charitable purposes, including, but not limited to, the following:
- The promotion of the historical heritage of Poland Township, Ohio; and,
- The preservation and restoration of the historical land marks of Poland Township, Ohio; and,
- The fostering and promotion of an historic interest in the history of Poland Township, Ohio; and,
- The making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
As the Poland Village and Township Historical Society, we are dedicated to procuring and displaying artifacts related to Poland’s place in history as Town 1, Range 1 in the Connecticut Western Reserve. The early settlers in the Poland, Lowellville and Struthers area left behind interesting stories about their lives in the early 1800’s. With the help of their descendents, much of their history and artifacts have been preserved and are displayed at the Little Red Schoolhouse.
Over the years, the Society has offered numerous lectures and educational programs concerning a variety of local history and interest. The Society continues to maintain the restored building and displays many family histories, pictures and artifacts.
We look forward to expanding our role as a valued educational resource for the Poland Community. The Society relies on its members and the community for financial help as well as volunteers to maintain the Schoolhouse.