Since 1949, Poland Township has been a zoned community, to promote the health, safety, morals and general welfare of the Township.
The Township Zoning Inspector is appointed by the Board of Trustees and is responsible for keeping records of all applications for zoning certificates and action taken thereon and is also responsible for the enforcement of all Township zoning regulations.
Zoning and nuisance complaints should be made in writing to the Township Zoning Office. The Zoning Inspector investigates all such complaints and notifies violators to correct any violations within a set amount of time. Violations not corrected will be prosecuted through the Struthers Municipal Court. In addition, the Zoning Inspector often works with the County Board of Health, the Ohio E.P.A., the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, the County Prosecutor, and the Police and Fire departments.
- The position of Zoning Inspector has been deemed necessary to issue permits and collect fees as provided by the Resolution and shall include the following duties:
- Make inspections of premises and buildings necessary in carrying out his/her duties in compliance with the provisions of the Zoning Resolution.
- Issue zoning permits for various building purposes such as structures, signs, swimming pools, fences, etc., provided the proposed use is permitted under the Zoning Resolution and the applicant has provided all necessary application requirements.
- Issue conditional zoning certificates after approval by the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Issue variance permits after approval by the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Investigate alleged violations of the zoning Resolution.
- Attend all regular and special meetings of the Zoning Commission and the Board of Zoning Appeals and all regular meetings of Board of Township Trustees and such other meetings as the board of Township Trustees shall direct.
- Keep and maintain records of all activities of his/her office and to report annually to the Board of Township Trustees.
- Maintain the Official Zoning Map of the Township.